|The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is an option you may want to use when the releasability of a record is in doubt. The FOIA provides public access to releasable records. It does not require agencies to do research, conduct surveys, compile or analyze data, or to answer questions.
Frequestly Asked Questions
It is the policy of the Air Force Academy to make agency records available to the public to the greatest extent possible in keeping with the spirit and intent of the Freedom of Information Act.
Who May Submit a Request:
Under the Act, members of the public, including foreign citizens, military and civilian personnel acting as private citizens, organizations and businesses, and individual members of the Congress, for themselves or constituents, may request records.
How to Submit a Request:
A request for any records must be in writing and should indicate that it is being made under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). It may be mailed or delivered to:
TRAVIS AFB FOIA REQUESTER SERVICE CENTER
60 CS/SCOKR FOIA
581 Waldron Street
Travis Air Force Base, CA 94535-5005
A request may also be e-mailed to email@example.com.
Telephone requests will not be accepted. However, you may refer any questions on the FOIA to:
(707) 424-2228 or DSN 837-2228.
Contents of the Request:
The request should contain the following information:
Fees: Fees range from $20.00 to $44.00 per hour for search and review time and 15 cents per page for reproduction of documents on a standard office copier up to 8 1/2 x 14 inches. There is no charge if total processing costs are $15.00 or less. Fees may vary based on which of three categories of requester you fall in. Fees for each category are as follows:
- The name and address of the requester and a telephone number at which the requester may be reached during normal business hours.
- A reasonable description of the record sought. This will speed our response by assisting us in determining where to search for the record.
- A statement agreeing to pay any applicable processing fees. You may indicate the maximum amount you are willing to pay. If estimated charges exceed that amount we will advise you of the charges and ask your guidance on whether to proceed with processing the request.
Response Time: You can expect a response to your request within 20 workdays from the date of receipt in the Academy FOIA Office. If for some reason we cannot respond within the 20 workdays we will inform you of the reason for the delay and provide an estimated completion date.
- Commercial: Search, review, and duplication charges.
- Educational or non-commercial scientific institution or news media: Duplication charges only. The first 100 pages are provided free.
- Other: Search and duplication charges only. The first two hours of search time and first 100 pages of duplication are provided free.