Col. Gwendolyn A. Foster is the Commander, 60th Medical Group, 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis Air Force Base, California. As commander, she is responsible for establishing policies and maintaining standards of practice to govern all medical, dental and support programs for 276,000 Department of Defense and Veteran Affairs eligible beneficiaries. She oversees a budget of $165 million dollars, manages the largest Air Force medical facility at approximately 2.3 million square feet, which handles over 411,000 patient encounters annually. Col. Foster leads seven squadrons encompassing 2,500 staff and 450 medical providers. The 60th Medical Group provides or arranges comprehensive community and referral healthcare, as well as aeromedical staging, readiness, education, research and teleradiology services. The medical group also supports DoD/VA joint ventures.
Col. Foster entered the military at 17 years old, serving in the Illinois Army National Guard and the Army Reserve for eight years as a field medic before being honorably discharged in 1996. Afterward, she earned her master’s degree in nursing, midwifery and worked as a certified nurse-midwife for two years before entering active duty with the Air Force in 2001. Prior to this assignment, Col. Foster served in multiple leadership positions at the squadron and group level at locations all over the world.
1995 Bachelor of Science in Nursing, University of Maryland Baltimore, Baltimore Md.
1999 Masters of Science in Nursing, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio.
2007 CJ Reddy Nursing Leadership Conference, Washington, DC.
2007 Nursing Service Management, Sheppard AFB, Texas.
2007 Squadron officer school, by Correspondence.
2012 Masters of Arts in Military Operation Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2018 Masters of Arts in Strategic Military Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- April 2002 – October 2003, Certified Nurse-midwife (CNM), Women’s Health Clinic, Langley AFB, Va.
- November 2003 – April 2006, CNM, Women’s Health Clinic, Yokota AB, Japan.
- May 2006 – April 2010, GYN Element Leader, GYN clinic, Wilford Hall Medical Center,Lackland AFB, Texas.
- January 2008 – May 2008, Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner, Women’s Health Clinic, Balad AB, Iraq.
- April 2010 – June 2012, OB/GYN Flight Commander, David Grant Medical Center, Travis AFB, Calif.
- May 2012 – June 2012, Chief/CNM, MEDRETE TF Tropic, Honduras.
- August 2012 – June 2013, ACSC student, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- June 2013 – June 2015, Deputy Squadron Commander, AFELM MED DOD, Andrews AFB, Md.
- June 2015 – May 2017, Squadron Commander, 559 Trainee Health Squadron, JBSA-Lackland, Texas.
- July 2017 – May 2018, AWC student, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- July 2018 – June 2020, Commander, 412 Medical Group, Edwards AFB, Calif.
- July 2020 - Present, Commander, 60 Medical Group, Travis AFB, Calif.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Army Achievement Medal
AF Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
Iraq Campaign Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon (Rifle)
2009 Lackland Federal Women’s Annual Award
2012 Association of Women’s Health, Obstetrics and Neonatal Nursing Advocate of the Year
2014 AWHONN Emerging Leader
2019 Air Force Materiel Command Wilma Vaught Award
1999 Certification in Nurse-Midwifery by the American Midwifery Certification Board
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
American Association of Nurse Practitioners
American College of Nurse-Midwives
Association of Women’s Health, Obstetrics and Neonatal Nurses
Sigma Theta Tau Nursing Honor Society
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Captain November 15, 2001
Major September 1, 2009
Lieutenant Colonel February 1, 2016
Colonel October 1, 2018
(Current as of June 2020)