Col. Jeffrey W. Nelson is the Commander, 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis Air Force Base, California. As commander, he is responsible for the combined efforts of all wing operations and support activities associated with the worldwide air mobility mission. C-5M Super Galaxy, KC-10 Extender and C-17 Globemaster III aircraft participate in airlift and aerial refueling taskings, responding to Joint Chiefs of Staff-directed combat operations, and supporting U.S. State
Department-sponsored humanitarian relief efforts worldwide. He is responsible for ensuring the readiness and well-being of more than 26,100 active duty, Reserve, civilian personnel and their families.
Colonel Nelson is a 1997 distinguished graduate of the United States Air Force Academy where he was awarded a Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering. He has also earned a Master’s Degree in Organizational Management from The George Washington University and a Master’s Degree in Airpower Art and Science from the School of Advanced Air and Space Studies at Air University.
Colonel Nelson has an extensive background in the C-17A. He flew 135 combat sorties in Operations ALLIED FORCE, ENDURING FREEDOM, IRAQI FREEDOM, FREEDOM’s SENTINEL, and INHERENT RESOLVE logging more than 366 combat hours. He is a graduate of class 2005A of the C-17A Weapons Instructor Course and was the Commander of the 58th Airlift Squadron, the C-17 Formal Training Unit.
Colonel Nelson’s staff assignments include time as a Strategic Planner at U.S. Central Command, MacDill AFB, Florida. and as the Chief of the Strategy Division at the 607th Air Operations Center, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea. Prior to his current assignment, he served as the Commander, 628th Air Base Wing and Joint Base Charleston, South Carolina.
Colonel Nelson is a Command Pilot with over 4,100 flight hours in the C-17A, T-1A, and T-37B.
1997 Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2003 Master of Arts Degree in Organizational Management, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2005 C-17A Weapons Instructor Course, McGuire AFB, N.J.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2010 Master of Airpower Art and Science Degree, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Air War College,Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2015 National Defense Fellow, Congressional Research Service, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
2017 Joint and Combined Warfighting School (JPME-II), Norfolk, Va.
2018 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kennan Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
1. August 1997 – September 1998, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Class 98-14, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
2. September 1998 – Dec 1998, C-17A Copilot Initial Qualification course, Altus AFB, Okla.
3. January 1999 – June 2002, Wing Mission Director and C-17A Instructor Aircraft Commander, 437th Operations Support Squadron and 17th Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
4. June 2002 – June 2003, Air Force Intern Program, Office of the Secretary of Defense and Headquarters Air Force Staff, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
5. June 2003 – June 2006, Assistant Director of Operations, Flight Commander, and C-17A Evaluator Aircraft Commander, 8th Airlift Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
6. June 2006 – June 2009, Operations Officer, Course Director, Weapons Officer, and C-17A Instructor Aircraft Commander, 57th Weapons Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
7. June 2009 – June 2010, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala..
8. June 2010 – June 2012, Strategic Planner, Strategy, Plans and Policy Directorate (J5), U.S. Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
9. June 2012 – January 2014, Commander, 58th Airlift Squadron, Altus AFB, Okla.
10. January 2014 – June 2014, Deputy Commander, 97th Mission Support Group, Altus AFB, Okla.
11. July 2014 – June 2015, National Defense Fellow, Congressional Research Service, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2015 – June 2016, Chief, Strategy Division, 607th Air Operations Center, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
13. June 2016 – July 2017, Vice Commander, 437th Airlift Wing, Joint Base Charleston, S.C.
14. July 2017 – September 2018, Commander, 628th Air Base Wing and Commander, Joint Base Charleston, S.C.
15. September 2018 – Present, Commander, 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis AFB, Calif.
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 4,100
Aircraft flown: C-17A, T-1, and T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with one oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Combat Readiness Medal with one oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with one device
Kosovo Campaign Medal with one device
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1997
First Lieutenant May 28, 1999
Captain May 28, 2001
Major Nov. 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel December 1, 2011
Colonel May 1, 2016
(Current as of September 2018)