Col. James D. Reaves is the 60th Maintenance Group Commander, Travis Air Force Base, Calif. As commander, he is responsible for the management of four aircraft maintenance squadrons and an aerial port squadron. He leads more than 2,200 total force personnel supporting Air Mobility Command’s largest wing, providing organizational and field-level maintenance for 18 C-5, 13 C-17, and 27 KC-10 aircraft and all transient aircraft. He ensures world class passenger services, cargo movement and traffic management operations are provided in support of the Air Force mission. He is the logistics subject matter expert on all aircraft maintenance and aerial port support issues for the air mobility wing.
Col. Reaves earned his commission through the United States Air Force Academy in 1998. He is a master aircraft maintainer having served in multiple major commands and several operational wings with experience on C-5, KC-135, MQ-9, ScanEagle, KC-10, C-17, C-130H/J and F-35 aircraft. Col. Reaves has served as a squadron commander during assignments with U.S. Pacific Air Forces, U.S. Air Forces in Europe and U.S. Air Forces in Africa, as well as U.S. Air Forces Central Command.
1998 Bachelor of Science, Human Factors Engineering, USAF Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1999 Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas.
2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala, by correspondence.
2003 RAF Junior Officer Command Course, Defence Academy of the UK, Shrivenham, UK (SOS equivalent).
2004 Association of Project Management Certification, Ministry of Defence Abbeywood, Bristol, UK.
2006 Master of Business Administration, Regis University, Denver, Colo.
2006 Advanced Maintenance and Munitions Officer School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2008 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence.
2010 Master’s Degree in National Security Studies, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif. (IDE in-residence)
2014 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence.
- July 1998 – October 1999, Assistant Officer-in-Charge, Blue Sortie Generation Flight, 436th Aircraft Generation Squadron; Fabrication Flight Commander and Maintenance Flight Commander, 436th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Dover Air Force Base, Del.
- April 2001 – June 2003, Aircraft Maintenance Unit Commander, 22nd Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
- June 2003 – October 2004, UK MoD Integrated Logistics Support Officer, MoD Abbeywood, Bristol, UK.
- October 2004 – June 2005, UK MoD Joint Unmanned Air Vehicle (UAV) Experimentation Project Manager, MoD Abbeywood, Bristol, UK.
- June 2005 – May 2006, Aircraft Maintenance Unit OIC, 732d Air Mobility Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Ala.
- May 2006 – August 2006, student, Advanced Aircraft Maintenance and Munitions Officer School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
- August 2006 – May 2008, Maintenance Operations Officer, 732d Air Mobility Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Ala.
- May 2008 – September 2009, Director of Operations, 732d Air Mobility Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Ala.
- September 2009 – December 2010, student, Naval Postgraduate School, IDE in-residence, Monterey, Calif.
- December 2010 – June 2013, Commander, 15th Maintenance Squadron, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii.
- June 2013 – June 2015, Chief, Geographically Separated Units and International Activities Branch, Headquarters United States Air Forces in Europe – United States Air Forces Africa, Ramstein AB, Germany.
- June 2015 – July 2016, Commander, 86th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany.
- July 2016 – January 2017, Commander, 770th Air Expeditionary Advisory Squadron, Baghdad, Iraq.
- January 2017 – June 2017, Commander, 86th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany.
- July 2017 – July 2019, Deputy Commander, 374th Maintenance Group, Yokota AB, Japan.
- July 2019 – July 2020, Chief, F-35A Fleet Management Office, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- July 2020 – to present, Commander, 60th Maintenance Group, Travis AFB, Calif.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor device and ten oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with four oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with one bronze star
Operation Inherent Resolve Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal with one bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Long-Tour Ribbon with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border and one oak leaf cluster
2000 436th Equipment Maintenance Squadron Company Grade Officer of the Year
2002 22nd Aircraft Maintenance Squadron Company Grade Officer of the Year
2004 UK Exchange Company Grade Officer of the Year
2006 Advanced Maintenance and Munitions Officer School “Highest Academic Average” and “Top Paper”
2006 15th Expeditionary Mobility Task Force Company Grade Officer of the Year
2008 15th Expeditionary Mobility Task Force Lieutenant General Leo Marquez Award, FGO Category
2014 Air War College “Outstanding Graduate,” by correspondence
2015 86th Airlift Wing’s Lieutenant General Leo Marquez Award, FGO Category
2015 USAFE/AFAFRICA Maintenance Effectiveness Award
2016 USAFE/AFAFRICA Maintenance Effectiveness Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1998
First Lieutenant May 27, 2000
Captain May 27, 2002
Major November 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 2013
Colonel July 1, 2019
(Current as of July 9, 2020)