Col. Melvin E. Maxwell Jr. is the Commander, 60th Mission Support Group, Travis Air Force Base, California. As commander, he directs over 1,900 personnel in six squadrons responsible for civil engineering, communications, contracting, logistics readiness, personnel, security, and services, supporting a base community of 135,000 personnel. He controls an annual budget of over 100 million dollars and resources exceeding five billion dollars.
Col. Maxwell received his commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1997. He has held positions at base-level ground, air transportation, and logistics readiness units, completed an industry internship with FedEx Express, held staff assignments at United States Air Forces in Europe, United States Transportation Command, Defense Logistics Agency, and Headquarters Air Force and has commanded two squadrons. Prior to his current assignment, he was the Executive Officer to the Directorate of Logistics Operations, Defense Logistics Agency, Ft Belvoir, Va.
Col. Maxwell deployed three times in support of Operations Iraqi Freedom and Inherent Resolve. In 2005, he served as the military on-site commander of Abu Ghraib Warehouse in western Baghdad, as well as a convoy military liaison expediting civilian convoy access through military gates and checkpoints. In 2008, Col. Maxwell deployed to the Multi-National Force-Iraq staff supporting implementation of the bilateral United States and Republic of Iraq Security Agreement. In 2015, he served as Deputy Chief, Current Operations Division, Central Command Deployment and Distribution Center where he led all US Central Command intra-theater airlift requirement validation.
1997 Bachelor of Science, Management, USAF Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2004 Master of Science, Logistics Management, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright- Patterson AFB, Ohio.
2006 Advanced Logistics Readiness Officer Course, Air Mobility Warfare Center, Ft. Dix, N.J.
2007 Education with Industry Program, FedEx Express, Memphis, Tenn.
2009 Air Command and Staff College, via Correspondence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Intermediate Developmental Education, In-Residence Equivalency Credit, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2013 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
- July 1997 – July 1999, Flight Commander, Vehicle Maintenance Flight, 56th Transportation Squadron, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
- July 1999 – July 2002, Officer in Charge, Air Freight and Passenger Operations and Flight Commander, Combat Readiness and Resources, 633d Air Mobility Support Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Japan.
- September 2002 – March 2004, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- April 2004 – August 2006, Command Logistics Programming Plans Manager and Chief, Headquarters, United States Air Forces in Europe; Command Fuels Management, Logistics Support Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany
- September 2006 – June 2007, Student, Education with Industry program, Air Force Institute of Technology, FedEx Express, Memphis, Tenn.
- July 2007 – June 2010, Deputy Chief, Distribution Portfolio Operations Branch, Command, Control, Communications, and Computer Systems Directorate, United States Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
- July 2010 – June 2012, Commander, 55th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Offutt AFB, Neb.
- July 2012 – July 2014, Commander, 721st Aerial Port Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany
- August 2014 – July 2016, Chief, Systems Integration Branch, War Planning and Policy Division, Current Operations Directorate, Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations (A3), Headquarters, United States Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- July 2016 – July 2018, Chief, Enterprise Strategy and Analysis Branch, Weapons Systems Sustainment Division, Resource Integration Directorate, Deputy Chief of Staff, Logistics, Engineering, and Force Protection (A4), Headquarters, United States Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- August 2018 – April 2019, Director, Clothing and Textiles, Defense Logistics Agency Troop Support, Philadelphia, Pa.
- May 2019 – June 2020, Executive Officer, Directorate of Logistics Operations, Headquarters, Defense Logistics Agency, Ft. Belvoir, Va.
- July 2020 – Present, Commander, 60th Mission Support Group, Travis AFB, Calif.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
2013 Air Force Logistics Readiness Field Grade Officer of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1997
First Lieutenant May 28, 1999
Captain May 28, 2001
Major Jan. 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel Apr. 1, 2012
Colonel Sep. 1, 2018
Current as of July 2020