Joseph M. Dingman is the Executive Director and Director of Staff, Travis Air Force Base, California. In this position, he serves as the senior civilian leader to the commander on vital civic and military issues affecting the largest base in Air Mobility Command and leads 24 wing agencies that include command section administration, legal, plans and programs, safety, command and control, chapel, public affairs, equal opportunity office, protocol, manpower and quality, treaty compliance, history and the Travis Heritage Center. Mr. Dingman retired from active duty in 2015 as the Military Assistant to the Department of Defense Executive Secretary and member of the Secretary of Defense’s Immediate Office where he served on the Secretary's personal staff. For the last five years, Mr. Dingman has served in various executive positions in the private and public sector.
Mr. Dingman graduated from the United States Air Force Academy in 1995. As a PHOENIX REACH graduate and crossflow aviator he has served in a variety of positions at the squadron, group, wing, Air Staff and Department of Defense levels. On the Air Staff, he was the Chief, Mobility Operations on the Chief of Staff of the Air Force and Secretary of the Air Force Executive Action Group at the Pentagon, Washington D.C. He also served as the Deputy Chief, Corporate Liaison Branch, Program Integration Division “Engine Room”, Directorate of Programs, where he was responsible for integrating the 2011 Program Objective Memorandum and Program Budget Review, a budget in excess of $119 billion dollars. In 2008 he was selected as an Air Force Intern, McConn Scholar, and graduated from Georgetown University’s Public Policy Institute in 2009. Mr. Dingman retired as a senior pilot with over 2,900 hours in both airlift and tanker mobility aircraft. With a passion for entrepreneurship & community service, he has owned a franchise, serves on multiple community boards and foundations, and was a founding member of the Avalon Institute Leadership Development firm.
1995 Bachelor of Science, USAFA, Colorado Springs, Colorado
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
2005 Air Command and Staff College, Correspondence
2007 DoD Executive Leadership Development Program
2008 Masters of Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
2009 Masters of Public Policy, Policy Management, Georgetown University, Washington D.C.
2012 Air War College, Correspondence
1. June 1995 – August 1997, Fuels Management Flight Commander, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida
2. September 1997 – August 1999, Chief, Plans and Programs, Defense Energy Support Center - Mediterranean, Livorno, Italy
3. September 1999 – November 2000, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance Air Force Base, Oklahoma
4. December 2000 – April 2005, KC-10A Instructor Aircraft Commander, Senior Flight Commander, 6th Air Refueling Squadron, and Wing Executive Officer, 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis Air Force Base, California
5. April 2005 – August 2005, C-17A Initial Qualification Training, Altus Air Force Base, Oklahoma
6. September 2005 – June 2008, C-17A Instructor Aircraft Commander, Assistant Director of Operations, member of the Executive Leadership Development Program (DoD), 14th Airlift Squadron, and Chief, Wing Executive Officer, 437th Airlift Wing, Charleston Air Force Base, South Carolina
7. July 2008 – July 2009, Air Force Intern and McConn scholar, Georgetown University, Public Policy Institute, Washington D.C.
8. August 2009 – June 2010, Deputy Chief, Corporate Liaison Branch, Program Integration Division, Strategic Plans and Programs (A8), Washington D.C.
9. June 2010 – November 2010, Chief, Mobility Operations, Chief of Staff of the Air Force/Secretary of the Air Force Executive Action Group, Washington D.C.
10. December 2010 – February 2011, C-17A Instructor Requalification Course, Altus Air Force Base, OK
11. March 2011 – May 2011, Special Assistant to the 60th Operations Group Commander, Travis Air Force Base, California
12. May 2011 – May 2013, Commander, 21st Airlift Squadron, Travis Air Force Base, California
13. June 2013- June 2015, Military Assistant to the Executive Secretary, Immediate Office of the Secretary of Defense, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
14. August 2015 – January 2017, Senior Vice President, MV Transportation, Dallas, TX
15. January 2017 – May 2018, Chief Operating Officer, DemandTrans, Chicago, IL
16. May 2018 – Feb 2020, Director, Administrative Services, City of Suisun City, CA
17. Feb 2020 – September 2020, Director of Strategy & Business Transformation, Interwest Consulting Group, Roseville, CA
18. September 2020 – Present, Executive Director, 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis Air Force Base, CA
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Achievement Medal
Global War On Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War On Terrorism Service Medal
AF Overseas Ribbon Long
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon (Pistol)
(Current as of May 2021)