Colonel Zachery B. Jiron is the vice commander, 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis Air Force Base, Calif. As vice commander he assists the commander in directing the combined efforts of all operations and support activities associated with the wing’s worldwide air mobility mission. The C-5M Super Galaxy, KC-10 Extender and C-17 Globemaster III aircraft participate in airlift and aerial refueling taskings, responding to Joint Chiefs of Staff-directed combat operations and supporting U.S. State Department-sponsored humanitarian relief efforts worldwide. He is responsible for ensuring the readiness and wellbeing of nearly 26,100 active duty, Reserve, civilian personnel and their families.
Colonel Jiron received his commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in May 2000. He is a mobility pilot with world-wide operational experience, including service in support of Operations Southern Watch, Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom, Inherent Resolve, Freedom’s Sentinel and Resolute Support. His assignments include multiple positions in operational and training units, squadron command, and staff officer duties at Headquarters U.S. Transportation Command and Headquarters U.S. Air Force.
Prior to his current assignment, Colonel Jiron served as a National Defense Fellow at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, D.C., where he provided Air Force and joint military expertise for research and analysis supporting U.S. leaders to shape and implement national security strategy.
2000 Bachelor of Science in Environmental Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2005 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2007 Master of Science in International Relations, Troy University, Ala.
2009 Air Command & Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2011 Graduate Certificate, Advanced Supply Chain Management, St Louis University, St Louis, Mo.
2012 Air Force Fellow - Joint Mobility, Scott AFB, Ill.
2013 Joint & Combined Warfighting School, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2013 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2019 National Defense Fellowship, Center for Strategic and International Studies, Washington, D.C.
- September 2000 - October 2001, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
- November 2001 - February 2002, Student, C-5 Pilot Initial Qualification Course, Altus AFB, Okla.
- March 2002 - October 2005, C-5 Instructor Pilot & Wing Mobility Director, 22nd Airlift Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
- November 2005 - February 2007, C-5 Evaluator Pilot and Scheduler, 56th AS, Altus AFB, Okla.
- March 2007 - June 2011, KC-10 Evaluator Pilot and Executive Officer, 305th Air Mobility Wing, Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, N.J.
- July 2011 - July 2012, Air Force Fellow - Joint Mobility, Scott AFB, Ill.
- July 2012 - July 2014, Deputy Chief, U.S. Central Command Operations Branch, East Division, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
- August 2014 - April 2015, Operations Officer, 2nd Air Refueling Squadron, JB MDL, N.J.
- May 2015 - May 2016, Commander, 908th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron, Al Dhafra Air Base, U.A.E.
- July 2016 - June 2018, Chief, Communications Team, Secretary of the Air Force/Chief of Staff of the Air Force Executive Action Group, Headquarters USAF, Arlington, Va.
- July 2018 - June 2019, National Defense Fellow, Center for Strategic and International Studies, Washington, D.C.
- June 2019 - present, Vice Commander, 60th AMW, Travis AFB, Calif.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: 4,300+
Aircraft flown: C-5A/B/C & KC-10A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant 31 May 2000
First Lieutenant 31 May 2002
Captain 31 May 2004
Major 1 January 2010
Lieutenant Colonel 1 February 2015
Colonel 1 March 2019
(Current as of June 2019)